Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Why do head colds knock you on your a$$?

Ok I have been fighting this cold since last Thursday and its been taking every ounce on energy I have to make it through the day.  Friday I got a call from my friend asking if I could PLEASE go to her house and clean her floors and do her laundry.  I was hesitant.  This is definitely one of my best friends we are talking about and I really don't think mixing business and pleasure is a good idea.  But I really need the $$$ and she really needed the help.  Her husband just had surgery and cant help out and her hours at work have been killer.  So after I finished my Friday AM cleaning I headed over there. I thought my floors were bad with 1 dog!!  Try 4 dogs.  Well needless to say it took me about 4.5 hours to really clean the floors good and do 5 or 6 loads of laundry.  She paid me well though and we decided I would come back and finish up the house for her and do maintenance cleaning every other week for her.  So I finished it up yesterday... another 6 hours of deep cleaning!   So excited she wants me to come every other week!!  Maybe she will miss me every other week and ask me to come weekly!  :)

Oh well.  Another old friend asked me to come help with once a month cleaning.  She wanted dusting and floors.  Well I am sorry, I can not go out once a month and dust your house and clean your floors for $20 ... really.  I gave her my pricing and what it includes and haven't heard back from her.  I am not going to drive 15 miles to your house once a month and cater to your needs for pennies just because we were sort of friends 25 years ago.  I mean I am desperate for work, but I am not going to be taken advantage of.  My prices are really low.  I mean LOW.  But I decided to double my price for initial cleaning because no one seeks out a cleaning lady until their house is REALLY bad... and I am not going to go in for 8-10 hours busting my butt for minimum wage.  So double it is.  Then if they want maintenance cleaning once a week its pretty cheap.  Every other week I add $15 (figuring an extra hour will be needed)  and once a month an extra $35 added on for a couple extra hours in addition to my set fee ... which is rock bottom.  $65-$80 for a 3 bdrm 2 bath house.  $85-$100 for 4 bdrm 3 bath house ... really depending on size, but that's a basic guideline.  So far just charging the minimum since I am starting out and trying to get my name out there. 

So if someone has a problem paying me that ... well really I feel they are trying to take advantage of me. 

Ok, I am going to try to go get some more contact solution at Rite Aid today.  It was a $2 money maker and coupons.com let me print out 2 more coupons!!!  Hoping they still have some in stock!   I needed to vent a little today :)  Now I have to clean my own house!  Have a great Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment