Sunday, August 29, 2010

My life forever changed 5 years ago today

I couldn't sleep at all last night.  Tossed and turned all night long.  At least it's only one night this time.  Five years ago I went 8 nights with no sleep.  I think in that first week I added up 16 hours of sleep total.  So you can imagine what I looked like and how I felt.  When I got up to Chicago my sister completely freaked out when she saw me.  She gave me a couple pills (cant remember the name) and I think I finally slept about 18 hours straight.  Katrina changed everything for me, but not all bad and not all good.  I took away a lot of good from that destructive day, too.  It just took me awhile to realize it.  Today there will be a party marking it's 5 year anniversary.  We may or may not go.  I am just not sure if I am ready to "celebrate" this day or not.  I really wish I had taken pictures of my beautiful town before the storm.  It was amazing.  I found this online... This is Waveland, which is like 2 miles from me.  Bay St. Louis and Waveland are really like 1 town.  They share the same schools and together make up about 5 miles anyway :) 

So even though this was taken in 1998... It gives you an idea of what we lost.  The loss of trees alone completely changed the way the area looked and felt.  But of course we lost so much more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment