Monday, August 23, 2010

A week of remembering...


For so long I tried to forget August 29, 2005.  Today begins a week of remembrance for me.  In honor of the 5 year anniversary of Katrina I will be posting pictures of my loss.  I have not looked at these pictures in about 4 years.  It has opened up some very painful wounds.  I have been looking at hundreds of pictures for the past hour or so and have decided to share a painful part of my life with anyone that decides to read this. 

I touched on Katrina in one of my earliest posts.  For those who did not read that post, I ask that you please take a few minutes to read it.  It shares the story of my husband and the hard painful life he has lived.  I believe it was my 3rd entry.  Thank you! 

I lived 5 houses off the beach in a small community called Pass Christian, MS.  Here are some pictures of what I came home to a month after Katrina.  We were not allowed to go back there until then because of the dangerous gas lines and debris piled 20+ feet in the air.  These pictures are after they cleared the streets and hauled almost all the debris away. 

The Live Oak that stood right in front of my home on August 28, 2005


Taylor's shoe

Left over debris waiting to be cleaned up.  So much had already been hauled away this was nothing compared to 4 weeks earlier. 

The top floor of our house found about 2 streets away


We all know what the markings on the houses meant.  The one on my house meant no dead bodies found.  Others were not so lucky. 


Sam getting ready to climb into the top floor of my house to see if he can salvage anything.

Overwhelmed.  My side yard.  Trying to find anything worth saving


toaster?  nah... crockpot?  leave it... toilet?  definately not! 


The cutest blue 2 story, 4 bedroom 2 bath home stood here on August 28, 2005.  Surrounded by very dense woods on 3 sides.  It was a slice of paradise and only 1/2 a block from the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico.


My tennis shoe


I think we will leave the toilet and microwave behind


My daughter's baby.  Hearbreaking.  We lost so much that day, but its the things like this that really hurt.  She loved every single one of her babies and stuffed animals with every fiber of her being.  She had so many I only let her take a small duffle bag and assured her that the others would be safe upstairs.  I dont think she really ever forgave me. 


Every tree was thick, plush, green and beautiful.  You could not see through them.  We had total privacy in our yard.  After Katrina it was almost like an open field.

This is about all I can bear to share today.  But I will scan and post more pictures every day this week.  My heart is heavy, my knees are weak, my hands are shaking and I am having an anxiety attack now.  Really who knew it could have this effect on me 5 years later? 

2 comments:

  1. One can only imagine what you are going through. Just focus on what's positive in your life now and thank God for your blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do try to remember to thank God for my blessings every day!! Thank you :) I thought I had gotten over Katrina, but after looking at the pictures I guess it was just buried deep inside. My heart has been racing for 2 hours today. I wonder how I will be on 8/29!

    ReplyDelete